Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Nightmare on Elm Street


Why is this a perilous place? Because it is going to be torn down any day now.


This does not have to do with children's books and illustration directly. It is more about preservation, recycling and waste. To me, however, there is a link to some of the things I like to rant about--building, destroying, creativity, imagination. You see this house is a part of my dreams and wishes, and now physically it will be gone.


Here is my story. I live in the tear-down capital of the United States. Mostly, it is pretty depressing what they replace the houses with. This has been my favorite house for as long as I can remember. I sort of latched on to it in my imagination and I dreamed about one day living there. For some reason, even as a little kid, I had always dreamed of living in a house with a history. Not that this one has a specific story--I can always supply the story part.


I go by this house every day. Mostly, while walking to and from school with my children. It is a saving grace that my son just graduated from his elementary because I won't be forced to pass it this year. Once, I noticed the front door was open and I ventured up on the porch and rang the bell, just to tell the gentleman who lived there how much I liked his house. No one ever came to the door but from what I could see from the porch, I realized the house was too nice for me. It was elegant and welcoming and beautifully furnished. I am a make do, fix it up, garage sale type. Still, it was something I aspired to.


Unfortunately, when it went up for sale, the price made it out of the question for us. I was able to go through it during the open house. I hoped it was too beautiful to tear down. I was wrong.


So my kids and I went up and drew it. It is not a very good drawing. I will attempt a better but for now I wanted to post it so that somewhere it still exists. I always feel at odds with the values of the town I live in, but now I really wonder what I am doing living here. I used to think that the friction caused me to think and inspired me, but today I am just saddened by it. I look at everyone in the down town and they are like aliens. I guess I am the alien. An alien with a broken space ship since because of family, children, and resources, I am stuck here for a while.