Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Just doing my job.

When is enough, enough? I designed the above for a card of congratulations on the new job. Maybe it is too opaque but I find it hilarious--must me my warped sense of humor. I must admit that at times I find it hard to keep chugging along. In my work and my writing. I cannot think of the publishing thing, because I imagine publishing a book is like giving birth. It is terribly difficult to get the thing out there, but that is just the beginning and then eventually you have to let go. So I focus on the joy of escaping into a new world, on walking with my characters through the story. I have a vague idea of where I want to end up, but how I get there is uncharted. Sometimes, I end up in a new place but by then it's okay. It's like reliving life over and over in different guises. I suppose it is what actors do, except that it is on the exterior and for writers it is an interior activity.