Saturday, February 20, 2010

Perilous Sundays

I am not exactly sure how to respond to comments (still figuring the whole blog thing out), so I am responding here: THANK YOU!!!! You all made my day--even the person who didn't have anything nice to say. And to answer a question, yes, the color was photo-shopped in for Muddy. Still working on "propagate" and missed "adrift" altogether.

My last post was on my birthday weekend--it was a lovely weekend but I kind of went into a slump afterwards. I couldn't even look at my blog--that I thought no one was reading. Ha! I will not be so negligent again.

The above is an old drawing I did of a church tower in Zurich, Switzerland. When my husband and I were first married we moved to his home country. For a short time he trained in Zurich and lived in a sort of dormitory of the company he worked for. It was under the roof of their office building in the center of town and I came for the weekends (I don't think I was supposed to be there at all). Zurich is ancient and although this area is no longer residential there are three large churches just a stones throw away. Let me tell you, the Swiss are serious about their bells. This room literally vibrated on Sunday mornings. Not only that, but the churches staggered their ringing so it went on for ever. First, one chimes 6 am--you wake up wondering if the building is on fire. Once you figure out it is bells, you hardly have time to take an aspirin before the next church begins and so on. It would have been lovely if they had been at a bit of a distance, but our window (open, of course, because it was summer and it is very hot under the roof), was eye level with towers (as you can see from the drawing).